- 100g peeled baby shallots (or 1 onion)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 25g peeled ginger, sliced
- 15g lemongrass – soft white stem only, sliced (or the rind and juice of 1 lime)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 large dried red chillies (or 2 tbs dried ground chili flakes + 1 tsp paprika)
- 2 tbsp sambal oelek (or other chili paste)
- 2 mushrooms
- 50g fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp tea seed oil/macadamia oil/olive oil/sesame oil
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1¼ litres vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- 100g rice vermicelli noodles/noodles of your choice
- 2 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 small broccoli, stems sliced and leaves cut into florets
- Bunch of torn kale leaves
- 250g fried tofu puffs (or fried hard tofu)
- 300g bean sprouts
- 4 limes, halved
- Fresh coriander to serve
Process the laksa paste ingredients to a semi-smooth paste.
Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan and fry the spice paste on low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring all the time – cook it slowly without burning. Add turmeric, cumin, white pepper, salt and sugar and stir for 1 minute. Add the stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil an simmer for 10 minutes. Add vegetables and tofu and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Cook noodles according to instructions. Add to soup along with bean sprouts.
Serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and coriander.