- 1 leek, chopped (leaves are good too)
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- bunch of shallots, diagonally slice (separate white parts from leaves)
- 3/4 cup basmati rice (you could use arborio, I just like basmati because it’s low G.I and I always have plentiful stocks)
- 1/2 cup vegan white wine/verjuice (optional)
- about 2 cups veggie stock
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 bunches mini asparagus
- 3/4 cup brussel sprouts*
- 1 cup english spinach
- few sprigs sage
- salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. Halve or quarter brussel sprouts (depending on size) and slice asparagus in half, on the diagonal. Bake sprouts in olive oil for 25-30 mins, add asparagus to baking tray after 5-10 mins (depending on how thick your asparagus is).
Meanwhile, fry leeks and the white part of shallots in extra virgin olive oil for 5-10 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and seasoning and stir for 1 minute. Add rice and cannellini beans, stir until coated in oil then pour in wine/verjuice if using.
Stirring regularly, add stock, 1/4 cup at at time, until liquid is absorbed and rice is soft and creamy. Stir in spinach, sage and sprouts. Place asparagus and remaining shallots on top.
You could serve it with vegan parmesan (I get VeitaBlu) or some lemon zest. And you can’t go wrong with more pepper…
*Substitute or add any other veg you prefer – fresh peas, kale, mushroom, sweet potato…