Not only is this delicious chocolate cake vegan, but it’s also fairly healthy!
- 3/4 cup spelt flour (or white flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder^ (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed*
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar^
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips* (vegan)
- 1 3/4 cups chopped pear
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1 tbs maple syrup/agave/rice malt syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used rice milk)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil*^ (melted)
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 4 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1/2 tbs vanilla extract
- 4 tbs tofutti*
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcious, and grease a 20cm springform tin with coconut oil. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, and mix well.
Process dates and pear in food processor until smooth. Add other wet ingredients and process until combined and very smooth.
Mix wet and dry ingredients until just combined, then pour into prepared pan and bake 35 minutes. Let cool completely.
For the icing, process/blend ingredients (a small processor is best here) until combined.
*Available from the supermarket
^Available from health food stores