From a recently converted vegan…
Foods to embrace:
- Beans (in all their glory and variety).
- Nuts (as a snack or blended into nut butter).
- Tofu and tempeh. Bland as is – you MUST cook well and eat with delicious sauce or marinade. If you’re an egg fiend try scrambled tofu – great with mushrooms and spinach).
- FRUIT and VEGETABLES are actually amazing! And versatile! Raw, stir fried, baked, steamed…with rice, bread, pasta, beans…sauce concoctions…The possibilities are endless.
- Non-dairy milk. I have coffee with soy milk, muesli with oat or rice milk, I bake with almond milk, cook with coconut milk and make ice-cream with quinoa
milk. Go wild.
- Mock meat – available in supermarkets, but for more choice head to an Asian grocery or health food store.
- Soy cheese is not at all bad, although often not brilliant eaten on it’s own,
it still does the trick on pasta or pizza.
- Coconut yoghurt – available from health food shops.
- Soy ice cream or, even better, coconut ice-cream.
- For baking use flax/chia eggs, Nuttlex, Tofutti, coconut oil and non-dairy milk. Easy.
- Dark chocolate.
Places to shop:
- Health food isle and freezer section of the supermarket.
- ANY fruit and veg shop!
- Dr. Earth in Newtown
- The Cruelty Free Shop in Glebe
- Asian supermarkets – IGA in China Town has an extensive range of mock products – frozen, cold, canned and dried.
Places to eat:
- Pretty much any Asian restaurant is vegan friendly – get a tofu/veg dish.
- Turkish/Middle Eastern is also great – dips, falafel, bread, salads, dolmades…
- In Newtown go to:
- Newly opened in Sydney on George St. (but a Melbourne institution) is Lord of the Fries – a vegan’s answer to fast food!
- Indian is great for veg options (just beware of ghee…) – Maya Vegetarian in Surry Hills and Hari’s Vegetarian on Broadway are vegan friendly.
- In Glebe, Badde Manors is of course an institution…
- About Life in Rozelle and Bondi Junction (a supermarket and cafe).
- Ungaro Raw in Rozelle.
- Cow and Moon in Enmore and Messina both have divine sorbets.
- Most cafes and restaurants in the Inner West have vegan options or will amend something for you.
Food blogs to visit for inspiration: